As of 2023-05-11, this posting is now closed.
Join us to help make scholarly communication in the life sciences more open and efficient by catalyzing cultural change around the use of preprints, transparent review, and other advances in scholarly communication!
ASAPbio is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization working toward a vision of a life sciences communication ecosystem where all papers and other outputs are shared rapidly and without restrictions on access or reuse, and open and constructive exchanges take place on research products at all stages. We view preprints and preprint review as key tools in achieving this vision. View our 2023 roadmap for current activities and read more about our organization.
The Associate Director will:
- Manage and grow the ASAPbio community, including the Fellows Program, Community Projects, Local Hubs, and Crowd Review program.
- Drive discussions on best practices for the productive use of preprints and preprint reviews by organizing online and in-person events and conferences
- Create resources that inform communities of researchers and other stakeholders about preprints and open peer review
- Develop new programs, external collaborations, and partnerships, and participate in strategic planning
- Assist with general operations of ASAPbio
The candidate must have:
- A passion for open science & preprints
- Strong communication skills and ability to connect with diverse stakeholders
- Experience in advocacy, outreach, event organization, and/or community management
- Research experience in biology or a related field
The ideal candidate will also be:
- Comfortable working independently and managing multiple projects
- Interested in aspects of non-profit management and medium- to long-term organizational development
- Able to manage collaborations and mediate conflicts
- Comfortable working with (or learning) a variety of digital tools (WordPress, Asana, Hypothesis, etc)
- A PhD in biology or a related field
Hours, salary, location, and start date
This is a full time, remote position. The position is funded for 2 years, and we will work to find additional funding beyond this period. Executive Director Jessica Polka is located in the Boston area, but ASAPbio can currently employ candidates eligible to work in either the US or the UK. Travel (several times a year) is a component of the work. Expected start date is flexible. Salary will depend on experience but is expected to fall in the $80-100k USD range. Benefits eligibility may depend on candidate location.
Please send a CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the words “Job application” in the subject line. Evaluation of candidates will include interviews (in person or phone) and simulated tasks.