Join us to make scholarly communication in the life sciences more open and efficient by catalyzing cultural change in scholarly communication, for instance around the use of preprints and other interim research products, transparent review, and other innovations!
ASAPbio is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization working toward a vision of a life sciences communication ecosystem where all papers and other outputs are shared rapidly and without restrictions on access or reuse, and open and constructive exchanges take place on research products at all stages. We view preprints, other interim research products, and open review as key tools in achieving this vision. View our 2023 roadmap for current activities and read more about our organization.
As the Executive Director, you will be responsible for implementing and shaping the strategic direction of ASAPbio. Your responsibilities will include:
- External relations
- Advocating for ASAPbio’s mission and interests with policymakers and the community
- Representing ASAPbio at public events, conferences, and meetings
- Organizational management
- Managing and collaborating with the organization’s staff, including an Associate director who leads efforts to foster growth and collaboration within the ASAPbio community, including the Fellows Program, Community Projects, Local Hubs, and Crowd Review program.
- Developing and engaging a strong board of directors
- Overseeing day-to-day operations, including financial management
- Ensuring compliance with all relevant laws, regulations, and reporting requirements, and upholding principles of transparency and accountability in all aspects of ASAPbio’s operations
- Program management
- Convening working groups and facilitating meetings, workshops, and conferences, both in-person and online
- Strategic planning
- Leading collaborative strategic planning efforts to reassess organizational goals and tactics
- Planning and implement fundraising campaigns and grant applications and reports
- Monitoring and evaluating program impacts and adjusting strategy in response
- Staying informed about emerging issues relating to the open science space more broadly
- A passion for open science and preprints as well as non-profit management and organizational development
- The ability to work independently and manage multiple projects
- The ability to develop a strategic vision and a strong culture change agenda
- Strong communication skills and ability to connect and manage relationships with diverse stakeholders
- Advocacy, outreach, event organization, and/or community management experience
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Problem solving skills; since ASAPbio is a small organization, the candidate must be willing to wear multiple hats
Additional preferred qualifications:
- 3+ years experience working outside of the academic context
- Experience managing a board of directors
- Experience managing direct reports
- Familiarity with a variety of digital tools (WordPress, Asana, Hypothesis, etc)
- Research experience in biology or a related field
Hours, salary, location, and start date
This is a full time, remote position. ASAPbio can currently employ candidates eligible to work in either the US or the UK. Travel (several times a year) is a component of the work. Expected start date is flexible but is ideally in Q2 of 2024. Salary will depend on experience but is expected to fall in the $100-140k USD range. Benefits eligibility may depend on candidate location.
Fill in the form, attaching your CV, by the deadline of February 19, 2024. Evaluation of candidates will include interviews (by phone and video) and simulated tasks.