To drive ASAPbio’s mission to raise awareness of preprints and encourage their productive use in the life sciences, we work closely with the ASAPbio Community, a group of researchers and others involved in research communication who interact and exchange information and feedback around the use of preprints.
The ASAPbio Community members:
• Interact via Slack and community calls
• Receive monthly newsletters
• Contribute to projects to promote the use of preprints
The ASAPbio Fellow program
We are keen to support those seeking to learn more about preprints and to develop skills that equip them to become a resource for their communities. If you are interested in a deep dive into the preprint landscape, or in developing your own preprint initiative, then our ASAPbio Fellow program is for you!
The ASAPbio Fellows program runs for six months and provides participants with tools and skills to drive discussions about the productive use of preprints in the life sciences, so that they can become ASAPbio representatives at their institutions or scientific conferences. Our Fellow program is now open for applications for the 2021 cohort, the deadline for applications is 5 March 2021, the program will run from April to September 2021.
We look forward to working with you! We always welcome ideas and feedback, if you have any queries or comments about the ASAPbio Community or the ASAPbio Fellow program please do get in touch by emailing Iratxe at email@example.com.
The Community endorses the following values and good practice guidelines:
- Show respect for other members of the ASAPbio community, as well as the larger research community
- Use collegial, professional and inclusive language
- Value and respect different viewpoints and experiences, including constructive feedback
- Encourage diversity
- Share information, resources, requests or experiences that are of relevance to the broader ASAPbio Community and align to the goals of ASAPbio
More information on the ASAPbio Community guidelines and Code of Conduct is available on the ASAPbio Code of Conduct page.
We hold bimonthly calls with the ASAPbio Community, hosted via zoom. The calls are an opportunity for the Community to get updates about initiatives related to preprints, and provide or request input on ongoing projects.
Why attend an ASAPbio Community call?
- Get updates on what’s going on in the preprints space
- Opportunity to exchange with other members of the ASAPbio Community and to get involved in upcoming activities
- Get sneak previews of projects and activities ASAPbio is running
- Get input or feedback on preprint-related projects you are involved with
2021 Community Calls schedule
March 2021 Community Call – ‘Why do some researchers have reservations about preprints? Let’s ask them’
While the use of preprints in the life sciences is increasing, some researchers have concerns about posting their work as a preprint; this can be due to different reasons, related to their approach to science communication or to the nuances and implications for research in the discipline they work in. In our Community Call in March, we will be looking to hear from researchers who hold concerns about the use of preprints, learn more about their position, the reasons behind it, and how they view preprints developing for their disciplines.
More details coming soon.
May 2021 Community Call – Bringing culture change to science communication
More details coming soon.
Past ASAPbio Community Calls
26 January 2021 Community Call – ASAPbio strategic direction & plans for 2021
At our January 2021 Community Call , we will provide an overview of our vision and strategic goals which will guide our work towards more openness and transparency in life sciences communication. We covered:
- ASAPbio President Prachee Avasthi shared her vision for the organization and life sciences communication
- ASAPbio Executive Director Jessica Polka and Associate Director Iratxe Puebla gave an overview of ASAPbio’s strategic goals and associated initiatives
- Group discussion and feedback on the goals and projects
5 November 2020 – ‘Preprint journal clubs – the nuts and bolts’
27 August 2020 – ‘Preprints in the media’
18 June 2020 – #biopreprints2020 workshop and recommendations
Join the ASAPbio Community
By joining the ASAPbio Community, you will have an opportunity to get updates around preprints use, connect with others with an interest in preprints and help spark conversations about the benefits and challenges of preprint posting.
ASAPbio also runs a Fellow program, a six-month program aimed at providing tools and skills to drive discussions about the productive use of preprints in the life sciences. The ASAPbio Fellows are also part of the larger ASAPbio Community.
We look forward to working with you! We always welcome ideas and feedback, if you have any queries or comments about the ASAPbio Community, please do get in touch by emailing Iratxe at firstname.lastname@example.org.