Are you new to preprints and want to learn more about their use? Have you been wondering what the buzz is about preprint review? Have you been using preprints for a while and now want to engage others? Then our Fellows program is for you!
The use of preprints in the life sciences has grown over recent years, and an important driver has been community support for preprints. At ASAPbio we recognize that outreach by community members is invaluable in driving awareness about preprints, and we want to empower existing and new community members in driving these conversations, particularly with colleagues in regions or disciplines where preprints are still not common.
To support the members of our community who want to deepen their engagement with preprints, we have since 2020 hosted the ASAPbio Fellows program. We are now thrilled to open applications for the fourth cohort of the program.
The ASAPbio Fellows program provides participants with a comprehensive overview of the preprint and preprint review landscape. The program provides opportunities to explore trends, tools and the outlook for preprints in the life sciences while connecting with others interested in preprints and science communication. The program also allows Fellows to help shape and develop ASAPbio strategic initiatives, or to take forward a project of their choice. Our 2023 Fellows program will run from April to November, and is now open for applications until 24 March 2023.
Participants in the Fellows program will engage in a schedule of activities including:
- Orientation sessions that will provide an overview of the program as well as the preprint landscape
- Monthly sessions covering different preprint-related topics such as preprint review, publishing, open science, handling conversations about preprints, and more
- The Fellows will develop a preprint project, they will be invited to join one of the ASAPbio initiatives below or can choose and develop their own project:
- Preprints in Progress: support the use of preprints beyond the traditional journal article
- Crowd preprint review: collaborative review of preprints leading to group-authored public reviews
- Publish Your Reviews: encourage peer reviewers to post their reviews alongside preprints
- ASAPbio Local Hubs: foster local preprint communities through activities in/around Lisbon (Portugal), São Paulo (Brazil) and Pretoria (South Africa)
- Awareness and recognition of preprints in India
- Develop outreach campaigns (e.g. via social media) to support adoption of preprints
Want to learn more? You can find additional information on the Fellows program Handbook. You can also read about the ASAPbio Fellows and their accomplishments in prior cohorts: 2020 Fellows, 2021 Fellows, interview with 2022 Fellow. If you have any questions about the program, please do contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.