ASAPbio is seeking several new members for our Board of Directors to support our mission to drive positive change in science communication and to broaden our geographic representation.
We are looking for new Board members who can help us deliver on our strategic goals and complement the perspectives of existing Board members. We particularly seek individuals with expertise in the areas below:
- Driving and managing culture change
- Meta-research, ideally with a strong understanding of the current landscape and trends around preprints and open peer review
- Data and information analysis in the context of science communication
We want to increase the geographical representation within the Board, and we would particularly welcome applications from Asia, Europe, Latin America, and Oceania.
ASAPbio (Accelerating Science and Publication in biology) is a scientist-driven nonprofit working to promote innovation and transparency in life sciences communication through the use of preprints and open peer review. We envision a life sciences communication ecosystem where all papers and other outputs are shared rapidly and without restrictions on access or reuse, and open and constructive exchanges take place on research products at all stages.
ASAPbio seeks to embody the following values and priorities through our projects, activities, and community work:
- Focus on researchers
- Advancing scientific discovery
- Equity, inclusion, and accessibility
- Respect and empathy
- Collaboration and transparency
- Experimentation and adaptation to evidence-based best practice
Presently, we’re working toward our goals through the activities in our 2022 roadmap, including:
- Convening meetings and workshops to discuss pressing issues such as recognition for preprint review.
- Community building through the ASAPbio Fellows program to empower researchers to catalyze conversations about preprints, and collaborations with local open science groups from Asia, Africa or Latin America to drive engagement with preprints in different geographical areas.
- Advocacy for more open practices, such as the posting of more reviews on preprints, including journal-solicited reviews, and the sharing of early work via preprints.
- Experimentation via Review Commons, and the crowd preprint review activities.
Expectations for Board Members
Board members are involved in strategic planning, participate in decision-making, and engage in community relations to help connect ASAPbio to contacts who can help us achieve our mission of accelerating the open communication of life sciences research.
The board meets 4 times per year via Zoom for approximately 2 hours; attendance at 3 out of 4 of these meetings per year is required. No travel is required. Board terms are for 2 years, but can be renewed.
The board votes by email throughout the year and communicates through email and Slack. We expect all board members to join one or more committees and devote >2 hours per month to ASAPbio activities.
We do not have any expectations of financial contributions, nor are board members compensated.
How to apply
The application consists of several short-answer questions. Applications will close on May 6, 2022, and we expect to inform candidates of the outcome by the end of June, 2022.